If you live in Fort Worth, Texas and you don’t have air conditioning, now is the time to consider an air conditioning installation! Or maybe your current unit didn’t keep up with the heat last summer, consider replacing it with a new air conditioning installation.
What is the cost of a new air conditioning system?
The average cost for a new air conditioning installation can range between $5,000 and $8,000 depending on which brand, size, and which of the many types of air conditioning systems you choose.
What size air conditioner do I need?
There are a few basic rules and theories to follow when choosing the best air conditioner for your home, such as the 20 BTU (British Thermal Unit) for each square foot of living area. BTU is a unit of measurement for energy an air conditioner is using.
In addition to the square footage of the living area in your home, other factors need to be considered like the ceiling height and the size of the doors and windows. The higher the ceiling and the more exterior doors and windows, you’ll need a bigger air conditioning installation (more BTU).
1 ton = 12,000 BTUs / hour, meaning a 1-ton air conditioning system will remove 12,000 BTUs per hour. A professional air conditioning installation team will get the exact measurements of each room and the complete house to help you find the system size. Some examples are:
- 100sf to 300sf should have 5,000 to 6,000 BTUs
- 350sf to 650sf should have 9,000 to 13,000 BTUs
The team will take each room measure in square footage and add them together to determine the BTUs needed.
If I have existing air conditioning, do I need new air conditioning ductwork?
A new air conditioning installation is expensive, that is a fact that nobody can argue. So, it may be tempting to cut corners where you can, and the air duct system is often the first place a homeowner will ask about not replacing.
A new air conditioning installation should be expected after 15 to 20 years. Each time, the ductwork should be inspected, and it should be inspected and cleaned every 3 to 5 years.
Experts in the air conditioning installation business will recommend having new ductwork installed at the same time. No, this isn’t an upsell like adding fries to your hamburger order. While the existing ductwork can be retrofitted to the new air conditioning installation, it isn’t recommended because a mismatched system will often be inefficient.
New ductwork with the new air conditioning installation is as much as 30% more efficient, saving you money each month on utility bills. With the old ductwork, you’ll only see around 15% more efficiency. Still, savings yes, but not as much, and new ductwork is one of the least expensive parts of a new air conditioning installation.
When should I replace my air conditioner?
If you pay attention, your air conditioning system will begin showing signs of failure, as a car does! If you pay attention to those signs, you can be prepared instead of going into panic mode when it does die. Four signs that you need to prepare for a new air conditioning installation are:
- A Ten-Year-Old System
When the air conditioning system is 10 years old, it is time to start shopping for a new air conditioner installation. An air conditioner today will last 20 years with proper care and maintenance versus the 12 years of an older air conditioner’s lifespan.
The are several factors that affect the lifespan of an air conditioner in addition to proper routine maintenance. That maintenance includes an annual inspection and tune-up by a professional technician. Maintenance also includes changing or cleaning the air filter, keeping debris and grass off the exterior component, the brand and quality of the unit, and how much the system is used.
- Frequent Break Downs
If your air conditioner needs frequent repairs, it may be that you’re not following through with the maintenance recommendation. If you’ve had a repair technician out twice a year in the last 5 years, you should consider a new air conditioning installation.
- Energy Bills Increased
The cost of power, electric or gas, will increase annually, but if your electric power has a large sudden increase, you should have your air conditioning inspected.
- Freon Usage
If your air conditioning system is low on freon, (aka refrigerant), then you need a new air conditioning installation because they do not “use” the freon up. This would be it is leaking and while the technician may be able to stop a leak by tightening a line, chances are it will leak again.
How can I tell if my air conditioner is broken?
The following are five signs that it is time for a new air conditioning installation:
- Hot Air Blowing: An air conditioning system that is blowing hot air could be a broken compressor or a refrigerant leak. Both are fixable, but both could be beyond repair, and a new air conditioning system could be the better solution financially in the long run.
- Moisture Near the System: If you notice moisture leaking around the system, it could be as simple as the drain pan needs to be emptied and the drain lines cleaned out. This should be addressed immediately to avoid mildew and mold from forming and spreading throughout your home.
- Unusual Noises: An air conditioning system should be fairly quiet, so when you can hear grating, grinding, or squealing, it could be a belt is loose, the fan needs oiling, or you need a new air conditioning installation.
- Unusual Odors: If you notice a strong, pungent odor, it could be a wiring issue that is usually fixable. If you’re smelling mold and must, you have a moisture build-up somewhere. Either way, have the system inspected by a professional and be prepared to need a new air conditioning installation.
- High Humidity: An air conditioner pulls humidity from your home, so if you notice a pool of water around the windows or the air feels sticky inside your home, you need to have a professional inspect the system.
What should I check after air conditioner installation?
With a professional air conditioning installation service, the technicians should walk you through the job and provide instructions on how to use the system to get the most comfort and efficiency. That walkthrough should include:
- Checking the ductwork is clear and free of any obstruction
- Allow the system to run through a complete cycle that will ensure everything is in proper working order
- Check each room for balance and effectiveness of cooled air
- Pick up any debris or trash from the air conditioning installation
In Closing – Making It Legal
Do you need a permit to install air conditioning? Unless there is new construction to your home, a permit typically isn’t needed. A professional air conditioning installation team will know the local laws and regulations when it comes to permits.
West-O-Plex Air Conditioning and Heating provides professional air conditioning installation in Fort Worth, TX. Contact 817-244-2511 to get assistance.